Learning to See Clearly (Part 1)
Message Notes for January 5, 2020
Series: 20/20 Mission Clarity
Title: Learning To See Clearly – Part 1 of 2
Mission Clarity: Seeing clearly how your life is lived in this world and for God’s purposes.
What do you want your life in Jesus to look like in 2020?
How can you help connect our community to Jesus and each other?
The first step to spiritual clarity is choosing to follow Jesus!
What does following Jesus look like today?
- Fasting that brings humility and personal insight.
Isaiah 57:15 nlt I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.
I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts.
James 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
- Prayer that is sincere and consistent.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 Never stop praying.
Acts 3:31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
Luke 6:12-13 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God. 13 And when day came, he called his disciples and chose from them twelve, whom he named apostles.
Family/Group Study Notes for the Week of January 5, 2020
Series: 20/20 Mission Clarity
Title: Learning to See Clearly – Part 1 of 2
- What are things you are seeking God for in the New Year? Share with each other for prayer and encouragement.
- Spiritual clarity is understanding God’s design for you in every aspect of life. How could you grow in your spiritual clarity in 2020?
- Our church’s focus is to connect our community to Jesus and each other. How can you tangibly act on this focus? Share with the group your ideas. Listen and encourage one another in their ideas.
- Read John 1:43-51. What change of spiritual clarity did Nathanael receive? How did he discover this? How would following Jesus give you clarity to who He is and who you are?
- In the above passage, what are the different ways people came to follow Jesus? How did you come to follow Jesus? Was it a direct call from God or a leading from another person? Share with each other how you came to follow Jesus.
- What steps could you take to bring others to Jesus as Philip did?
- Fasting and prayer has been a part of Judeo/Christian practice for thousands of years. Read Matthew 6:16-18. What does Jesus say about the fast? Fasting helps us be more humble and open to hearing God. How would this be the case? What could you fast for a period of time to increase your sensitivity to hearing God?
- Read Acts 3:31, Luke 6:12-13, 1 Thessalonians 5:17. How can prayer bring the power of breakthrough in your spiritual clarity and life? Notice in these passages the way prayer changes people. Why is that the case?
- Read Luke 18:1-8. What does Jesus say about prayer in this passage?
- Gather in smaller groups and pray for each other for spiritual clarity, breakthrough and power from God in the New Year.