Message Notes for August 18, 2019
Title: Carry On
Series Passage: John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
How do we carry on in life, free of baggage?
Romans 8:8-9 nlt But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you.
How do I prepare for God to fill me with His Spirit?
- Desire to please God!
Matthew 5: 3,5
- Surrender your life totally to Jesus!
Romans 12:1-2, John 14:15-17
- Confess all sin!
How are we “filled” with the Holy Spirit?
- Faith in a command.
- Faith in a promise.
John 14:12-14, Ephesians 1:13-14
Being “filled” by the Holy Spirit happens over and over again.
John 15:5, Galatians 5:16
Family/Group Study Notes for the week of August 18, 2019
Title: Carry on
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-18. How does God want you to live your life? What would you need to do to have God take your baggage and struggles and make you new? How could you sustain it?
- Read Romans 8: 5-11. What does this passage say about our flesh and the Spirit of God? What does flesh mean? What is the limitation of our flesh? What are the possibilities when living in the Spirit of God? What is this passage encouraging us to do? What are the promises offered? What are the warnings?
- If we want to live in the Spirit of God we must first desire to please God and not our flesh. Read Matthew 5:3-12. What does pleasing God look like? What do these verses mean? Hebrews 11:6 says that it is impossible to please God without faith. How is faith necessary in living out Matthew 5:3-12?
- How is faith necessary to live life in the Spirit of God?
- Read John 14:15-17. What is the promise in this passage? How do we have to live by faith in this passage? What comes first – obedience or love? How does God want to help us live abundant lives? How does this passage cause us to surrender to God for Him to “fill” us with His Spirit?
- Read Ephesians 5:18. How is this passage describing two different ways of dealing with our baggage and struggles? If we stop one bad habit, how important is it to fill that void with God’s Spirit and purpose so we don’t fill it with something worse? How has this been true of your life?
- Read John 14:12-14. What are the promises in this passage? What would be the Holy Spirit’s role in making this passage a reality in our lives? How could you see the evidence of this passage in your life, family, church?
- Gather in smaller groups and pray for each other.