August 21, 2022 – Full Service
Click below to view the full service.
August 21, 2022 – Sermon Only
Message Notes for August 21, 2022
Title: Connection to God
1. Our connection to God is often like fast-food.
2. After coming to know Jesus we often fall into a fast-food faith.
3. James 4:3
4. Genesis 1:1-2
5. Colossians 1:15-19
6. Romans 8:22
7. God uses the storms in our lives to show us his salvation and his work in our lives that is not about our self, but about him and all of humanity and creation.
8. Mark 4:35-41
9. We become what we are called to be praying.
10. Pray – Scripture says to pray without ceasing. Pray as if your life depends on it – because it does.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.
Be in a Household that is more than a community. Who knows where you keep your cereal?
11. Realize it is in God’s time.
Job 38:4-7 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”
12. Look for the miracles of faith that happen all around us.
Family/Group Study Notes for week of August 21, 2022
Title: Connection to God
* What is fast food? What are the characteristics of fast food? How does fast food hurt you? How is faith often like fast food?
* How would you describe your connection to God? How do you think God would describe that same connection? Are they similar? Different? Why or why not? How has your connection to God been like fast food, now or in the past?
* How hard is it to connect to God? Do you ever feel like it is going through the motions? What is your prayer life like?
* Read Genesis 1:1-2, Colossians 1:15-19, and Romans 8:22. How is God and creation described in these passages? How does that make you feel about God and a connection with him?
* What is your community/household like? How do they strengthen you? How do they draw you closer to God? How are they a “household” to you? What is your part in having a household relationship with others?
* What does it mean “We become what we are called to be praying.”? What are you trying to become? Are you praying for this? In a community for this? How are you purposefully becoming deeper in your connection with God?
* Read Thessalonian 5:16-19. How can you develop a habit of praying without ceasing? What would that look like for you?
* How can you develop a “household” for your life and those around you? How do you develop community relationships?
* Read Job 38:4-7. What does this passage say about your time with God? How can you connect your life to his time and pace, not yours?