I Am the Gate
Message Notes – March 15, 2020
Series: I Am – Part 3- Title: I Am the Gate
Series Passage: Exodus 3:13-15 13 Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’” 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.
John 10:7-9 (NIV)
7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out and find pasture.
The gate represents _____________ as the only _______ to salvation and eternal life and His sheep are under His watchful care.
Jesus as the __________ also represents _______________.
What assures me of being in “the fold”?
2. Repent of sin
We are always under His protection. (1 Peter 5:8)
We will find pasture. (Psalms 9:10)
Answers: Jesus, way, gate, freedom
Family/Group Study Notes for week of March 15, 2020
Series: I Am – Part 3 – Title: I Am the Gate
- Read John Chapter 9. What is God saying to you in this story? What was the reason that the Pharisees didn’t want to believe Jesus was the Son of God? What are reasons people might give today? What keeps you from firmly believing?
- Read John 9:35-38 again. What did the blind man do? What would a daily life of worship look like for you?
- Read John 9:39-41. What did Jesus mean in these verses? How can we see physically, but not really see spiritually? What things, practices, understandings can blindfold us? What could conversations be like to help someone see differently toward Jesus?
- Read John 10:9. What is the promise? Why do you think so many people are looking for other ways to heaven?
- Read John 10:10. What is the promise in this passage? Who is the thief? What might the thief use to steal our peace or destroy our lives?
- Read 1 John 5:20. What understanding has Jesus given us about God? Why is Jesus so passionate about this? What does He want for us? What is the risk of idols? How can they steal the promise of God?
- Read 1 Peter 3:15. What does it mean to honor Christ? What would you say to someone about the hope in you?