October 2, 2022 – Full Service
Click below to view the full service.
October 2, 2022 – Sermon Only
Message Notes for October 2, 2022
Series: Worthy-the difference is evident
Title: Understanding the Identity
Series Bottom Line: Through Jesus Christ we are made worthy, but this act of grace makes us ponder the life we live in keeping with this grace.
1) Remember who made you!
2) Live UP to who God made you to be, not DOWN to where we
believe we are.
3) Let what’s been done, drive what is left to do.
1 Peter 2:9,10 NLT 9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests,[b] a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light. 10 “Once you had no identity as a people; now you are God’s people. Once you
received no mercy; now you have received God’s mercy.
Psalm 139: 13-15 NLT
Ephesians 1:4-8 NLT 4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. 6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.[b] 7 He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins. 8 He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding.
Ephesians 4: 1-6 NLT
Family/Study Group Notes for Week of October 2, 2022
Series: Worthy – the difference is evident
Title: Understanding the Identity
* Have you ever had a time in your life where you felt you weren’t worthy of something? If so, reflect on that and if comfortable share with someone in your small group. What caused the lack of worthiness? Do you ever find it hard to forget things that have happened in the past? How do those things affect and shape your daily life? Have they been hard to overcome? How do you think refocusing on God and what he has done for us through Christ might help us refocus on the future vs conquer the past?
* Read Ephesians 1:3-11. What is Paul talking about in the first few verses? How does God’s perception of time differ from our own? How does this information change how we view ourselves as being worthy of living into the image of sons and daughters of God through Christ? Considering relationships that you may have with your kids and or others, how does verse 7 illustrate the importance of your life to God?
* Read Ephesians 4:1-6 How does the calling of our lives change when we live in the identity and responsibility of being a child of God? How does Paul call for unity among brothers and sisters in Christ? How does living in God’s grace help the function and unity of the church? Share any verses that stuck out to you in the passage.
* Read Colossians 3:12-15 According to Colossians what are some of the outwards signs of the inward change of having our identity in Christ? Are these easy to carry out day to day? Have you ever tried to live a life worthy of your calling without putting Christ at the center of your heart? How did it go? Often, we try to do things on our own but learning that leaning on Christ in humility and grace provides the best footing for our leading others in their walk with Christ as well.
* Gather in groups and pray for things that are on each other’s hearts. Pray for wisdom and conviction for those around you and in our identity of ourselves through Christ; to live into who he is calling them to be, not who the world says they are.